FAITH FULL

I was working in a record store in Chelsea 100 years ago. In my glass box that was the classical and jazz section, I manned alone… Why did I leave those days?

She came in with an entourage of youngsters she had clearly picked up at some watering hole. Of course, wanting to award them her CDs. She initially asked if I had broken biscuits. When I looked at her perplexedly, she explained, “That’s what we call ‘Broken English’ in our house.” I suspect she knew that I knew all along but enjoyed the game. Though when I returned with a single obscure title from her back catalogue, she appeared furious.

Someone named Beck was big at the time. I remember her mouthing off, “They’ve been going on about fucking Beck. I suppose you’ve got fucking Beck CDs in stock, haven’t you? Get me copies of the fucking Beck CD.”

Once they had their gifts, they all pissed off, abandoning moi with a half-cut Marianne Faithfull on my arm.

instagram.com/readingbymartin

The Diva insisted on walking me up and down the aisles of jazz CDs and LPs, asking my opinion of each. It was difficult to believe she had never heard of half of these, as she claimed.

At the till, she joked, “Bloody next time I’m here, just make sure you have my fucking CDs in stock! OK?” But, somewhat uncertainly, added, “I’m Marianne Faithfull.”

Why the reiteration. To secure a sense of reality.

I replied, “I know. And it’s really nice to meet you.”

At which she met my eye directly and thrust out her hand, her arm solid and motionless. I took her palm for one of the warmest handshakes ever, met with one of the warmest smiles. At that, like the Cheshire Cat, she vanished.

I was walking on air for at least an hour afterwards.


© Martin Slidel 2026 — Image and text
#MarianneFaithfull #ReadingHistory #ReadingBerkshire #MartinSlidel


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music Compositions by Martin Slidel

Martin Slidel Music Archive

Martin Slidel Picture Book: Leaf